- A study has failed to find support for the theory that transgender people can be separated into different typologies based on sexual orientation. Source.
- Gender dysphoria has been found to be correlated with autism/asperger’s and attention deficit disorder. Source.
- Among trans people seeking care in the emergency department, 52% have at least one negative experience. 32% heard insulting language and 31% were told their provider didn’t know how to provide care. These statistics were gathered in London, Ontario. Source
- Cross-sex hormones change cortical thickness in the brain. Source.
- A meta analysis found that the type and dose of estrogen does not impact breast size for trans women. They also did not find an effect, positive or negative, for progestins. Source.
- A panel lead by a former U.S. surgeon general has urged the US military to eliminate its ban on transgender service members. Source.
- Pap smears may soon be replaced by HPV-only testing. Source.
- 43% of young adult and teenaged men report having experienced sexual coercion. 95% of those were initiated by a woman. 18% of those incidents were physical force, 31% verbal, 26% via seduction, and 7% via drugs/alcohol. Tell me again how sexual violence is a woman’s problem. Source.
- Shout Out Health posted their reminder of how you can find a gay-friendly health care provider
On an administrative note, I’ll be attending a medical school in Connecticut come the Fall. I don’t know yet what that’ll mean for post frequency here at Open Minded Health, but be warned that things may shake up a little bit.
As always… Stay healthy, stay safe, and have fun!