- Children of same-sex parents were found to be 39-45% less likely to have insurance than children of opposite-sex parents. The difference is less in states with civil unions, domestic partnerships or marriage. Source.
- A new study found that estrogen is required for male sexual functioning. So much for the idea of estrogen as a “female” hormone and testosterone as a “male” hormone… Source.
- A study found that men who have sex with men have sex as often as men who only have sex with women. Frequent sex was correlated with being younger, having a shorter relationship and having a primary partner. Less frequent sex was correlated with being of African descent/Black and identifying as heterosexual or bisexual. Source.
- A study came out from Australia looking at resilience among LGBT youth. They found that though LGBT youth experienced more discrimination and suicide attempts as a result of discrimination, they were much more likely to respond to discrimination with activism activities than their heterosexual/cisgender peers. Source.
Transgender/transsexual specific news:
- A review found that the risk of breast cancer is not elevated for trans people. Read more here. Source.
- A study of 24 people found that 95% of them were satisfied with a suprapubic phalloplasty, when they were able to choose their type of phalloplasty. Source.
- Toys R Us is beginning to de-gender their stores… at least in the UK. A great gift for trans and gender non-conforming kids. Source.
- A group called Feminists Fighting Transphobia released a statement in support of trans-inclusive feminism. If you agree with their statement, please sign it! Source.
New resources I discovered this month:
- The Gender Expansion Project, supporting trans people in Montana and the supporting area. They also have a yearly trans health conference, and are helping to set up a trans youth clinic in Montana.
- Out for Health is a website built by Planned Parenthood to support LGBT health.
- For a list of really useful collections of information for trans folk, please visit this page.